Wednesday, March 16, 2011

“Procrastination: A hardening of the oughteries.”

I hate hearing students say, "I don't do my assignments until the last minute because I work better under pressure." One reason this is a sore point with me is that I have to grade some of the crap they submit. Another reason I hate to hear it is because I know that procrastination will hurt them in the future.

Procrastination might be one of the most important things that influences the success of anyone including pharmacists. That's the message coming from Piers Steel, author of the Procrastination Equation. Steel says that people who procrastinate are more likely to be poor, put off necessary health care, have damaged relationships, and many other bad things.

I doubt that our students are any worse than earlier generations at procrastinating. The difference today is that there are too many distractions that permit procrastination -- the Internet, cell phones, and 24-hour media.


Success in pharmacy requires individuals to learn to control their tendency toward procrastination. One strategy I have used which made a big difference in my life was removing all games including solitaire and hearts from my computer.

Now I know have plenty of time to find other excuses to procrastinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment